Would you help terraform Mars?

I’m just wondering how many of you would go to Mars if there were a terraforming project about to start or under way.  If you had a chance to go and turn Mars into a habitable world, would you?

This entry was posted in Thoughts, musings and other dalliances. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Would you help terraform Mars?

• john says:

I always knew you were an explorer! Mars would be lucky indeed to have your energy and talent solving problems there. That’s made me think of an idea for a movie title: Mars Needs Wit! What do you think?

• Sagramore says:

As long as the movie features big-boobed Marsazon women, it should be good. Also, you should change the name to something exciting, like “Death Planet Storm Girls.”

• john says:

Which could spawn a trilogly:
          Death Planet Storm Girls
          Storm Planet Death Girls
          and the finale:
          Deathstorm Planet Girls
          and then, since all trilogies have more than three installments:
          Over-filled Bras From Space!!!!!!
          with perhaps more exclamation points.

1. Elly says:

I would love to go to Mars. I would go without thinking twice.

• john says:

There are many who would! We have a lot of work to do before we can go, but it’s being done by visionaries and dreamers all over the planet. I’m very excited about what we may soon be doing and where.

2. If I could bring my family, absolutely 100% yes. I would love for us to be colonists, my kids to grow up as Martians. When do we leave?

• john says:

That’s the spirit! We need to get our ducks in a row. There are certainly technical problems that need to be addressed, but I’m confident that with the spirit of people like you there will be Martians in our future!

3. 10 years ago, I would have said, “Sure!” But things are far too interesting here right now.

BTW, a terrific novel following terraforming pioneers after they’ve been pretty much abandoned by the corporations who sponsored them is THE EMPRESS OF MARS by Kage Baker.

• john says:

Fortunately there is no great need right now for authors of elegant, wispy prose to go to Mars. So you get a pass!

• It took a moment for me to realize that you think MY prose is elegant and wispy! Watch out, actor boy, you could end up in my next book!

As for Kage Baker and the Empress of Mars:

• john says:

Actor boy?? ACTOR BOY??!??!?!? I can see it now: The Adventures of Actor Boy and Writer Girl!! Watch them act and write their way through the dungeons of evil and the catacombs of unpleasantness. Nemises shall be emoted at!! Annoying people laid low by over-aggresive editing!! See them wield gestures and gerunds with equal amounts of taste and discretion!!! Marvel at their character arcs and word processing!!!! Be astounded by their inner pain and sensitive metaphors!!!!! And other things with even more exclamation points!!!!!!!!

Nah, it would never work.

• For Actor Boy’s information, my nickname at the day job became “Slasher” after I coined the term “aggressive consolidation” to describe what I was about to do to a proposal that exceeded the maximum allowed page count.

If you’ve got a cool moniker, too, we can go sign up to teach at Dr. Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. I hear they offer an imaginative benefits plan.

• john says:

The coolest thing anyone’s ever called me is ‘J. P.’ Pretty lame for a mutant superhero.

Comments are closed.